What has just the right amount of salt, is perfectly soft, deliciously chewy, and tastes just like your grandma’s buttery breadsticks? Would you ever guess that you could also add gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and seed-free to that list?
Six AIP breadsticks lasted no more than five minutes in our house… five nights in a row…
6 breadsticks * 5 batches ÷ 2 people = I feel ashamed even typing it.
These showstopper breadsticks will satisfy not only palettes accustomed to the autoimmune protocol diet, but those craving a gluten filled treat. No one will even guess these are missing (fill in the blank). Don’t believe me? Try them out for yourself!
Buttery + Chewy + Salty AIP Breadsticks
1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp guar gum (optional, but helps bind the dough for the braiding process)
- 4 Tbsp palm shortening
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- Olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
To prep dough
- Mix flours and sea salt together until well combined
- Crumble the palm shortening into the flour mixture and combine using a fork
- Pour 1/2 cup coconut milk into the flour mixture, adding 1-2 Tbsp additional if dough does not seem moist
- Allow dough to chill in the refridgerator 20 minutes
For the breadsticks
- Divide dough into 12 equal balls
- Secure parchment paper to a flat surface, and carefully roll out each ball into a 6″ length
- Take 2 lengths and carefully braid them together. If the lengths break, you can softly mold them in place as the braid comes together
- Lightly brush the tops of each breadstick with olive oil, and sprinkle with coarse sea salt
- Lay each breadstick on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Heat oven to 375, and cook the breadsticks 23-25 minutes
What’s your favorite AIP friendly baked recipe? I’m looking to stock up on recipe options for my first AIP Thanksgiving!
Want some help in rocking your AIP transition? You can have my free ebook containing protocol specifics, an enjoy + avoid list, a dining out guide, and even some (not so average) meal planning tips. Download your free copy below!