This Bacon Chicken Ranch Casserole is one of the best Whole30 and AIP recipes! It's an easy dinner that's great for batch cooking and freezing leftovers for lunch. Bonus: it's a winner for kids! If you're following the Autoimmune Protocol, you have to try this Whole30, Paleo, low carb, and gluten free spaghetti squash casserole. Grab the recipe below!
This AIP recipe comes with a bit of a back story.
If you've been following along with me for awhile on Instagram or my podcast, Unbound Healing, you know I've been promising to deliver this AI recipe for months. Each time someone would call me out on it, I'd promise them I'd get it out next.
I wasn't trying to deceive them! The thing is, every I'd plan to make this AIP recipe to take photos, something would go wrong in the execution.
The first time, I cooked and shredded the chicken, prepped the ranch, and then found out my spaghetti squash had molded.
The next time, I made the entire dish only to realize I'd forgotten the bacon.
Other times I'd forget the coconut yogurt for the AIP Ranch Dressing, or the sage for frying and garnishing the top.
The final failed attempt ended in frustration tears when my instant pot didn't cook the chicken or the spaghetti squash the entire way through on the first try, and after a second round of cooking I had run out of natural light to shoot the recipe in.
I tried making this dish 5 times, and there was a cooking catastrophe every time. If it wasn't the most delicious AIP recipe I've ever tried, I would have thrown in the towel completely.
And yet, here I am sharing the final recipe with you! Which almost didn't happen either.
James was in the kitchen when the timer went off on the recipe, and he asked if I wanted him to broil the top a bit to make it golden brown. Genius, right? Not so much….
It ended up burning around the edges and leaving some darker burnt spots around the dish. I about cried when we finally pulled it from the oven (pregnancy hormones are legit). Thankfully, my husband is amazing, talked me out of throwing the entire dish into the trash, and helped me clean it up a bit for photos.
So there you have it! The long back-story of how this Bacon Chicken Ranch Casserole (aka the best Whole30 and AIP recipe you've ever tried!) came to be.
Some tricks to make this the easiest AIP recipe you've ever tried.
I've had a few comments mentioning that this casserole is SO WORTH the work, but that it was in fact, work. Here are my tricks for making this Whole30 and AIP recipe super easy for you!
- The easiest (and quickest) way to cook a spaghetti squash is in your Instant Pot! I like using this method.
- Cook your chicken in the Instant Pot. I explain exactly how to cook your spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot in this post.
- I follow this method for cooking fresh or frozen chicken in the Instant Pot. This is a great trick for all your chicken AIP recipes!
- Shred your chicken with either these inexpensive “claws”, or with your KitchenAid stand mixer! Seriously, you can just throw your cooked chicken into your stand mixer bowl, turn it on, and you'll have shredded chicken within a minute.
Other recipes you'll love:
- Sloppy Joes (AIP and Whole30)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet (AIP and Whole30)
- Whole30 Pizza Casserole (AIP and Keto option)
AIP Bacon Chicken Ranch Casserole
- Cook your spaghetti squash (use this method for cooking in 10 minutes in the Instant Pot!), chicken, and bacon using your desired method. When the squash is cooked through, cut across the shorter width and use a fork to remove the squash strands into a bowl. Shred chicken (see note below), chop bacon, and add to squash.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add green onions, spice blend, and AIP Ranch Dressing to the bowl squash and protein, and combine well with a spatula. Spread into a ceramic baking dish, and place on a center rack in your preheated oven. Cook for 40-45 minutes.