The rose quartz roller is rising in popularity, and for good reason! It's a powerful skincare tool for health, detox, and anti-aging. But how does it compare to the jade roller? Read on for a complete comparison of jade vs rose quartz rollers.
What are facial rollers?
Facial rollers are one of my favorite parts of my skincare routine! Facial rollers are handheld tools with rollers made of stone. These rollers glide over your face to stimulate lymph flow, reduce puffiness, and increase product efficacy, among other benefits.
Facial rollers, which have been a staple in Chinese skincare for hundreds of years, are most commonly made of jade. However, the rose quartz roller is gaining popularity for the different physical and metaphysical benefits it offers.
Whichever facial roller you choose, you’re sure to notice improvements in your skin.
What are the benefits of facial rolling?
Facial rolling is a game-changer in your skincare routine. The multi-faceted benefits it provides are well worth mastering the technique and taking the extra time. Here are some benefits of facial rolling:
- Stimulates the lymphatic system by gently moving lymph fluid. This is one of your detoxification pathways responsible for carrying toxic waste from the body. In the Chinese tradition of facial rolling, this was referred to as moving stagnant ‘qi,’ or energy.
- Helps your skincare products absorb more deeply into the skin where their active ingredients are needed. This is why I recommend applying serums and moisturizers before facial rolling, then following up with more moisturizing if needed.
- Tightens the facial muscles and sagging skin by disrupting frown patterns, moving lymph fluid, and reducing skin inflammation.
- Reduces puffiness under the eyes without the drying effects of a caffeinated eye cream by moving stagnant lymph fluid and tightening skin.
- Increases circulation. The cooling stones rolling over skin encourage optimal blood flow to the face.
Jade vs Rose Quartz Rollers – which one?
Facial rolling was made popular by the jade roller, but I would argue the rose quartz roller has a few advantages over it's green counterpart! Here’s a list of pros and cons for the rose quartz roller specifically:
Pros of Rose Quartz Rollers
- Rose quartz is primarily made of silicon dioxide, iron oxides, and titanium. It’s a relatively hard stone and retains a cold temperature very well, making it ideal for facial rolling (jade warms up when rolled across skin.) Since silicon is amazing for skin elasticity, the silicon dioxide in rose quartz can improve sagging skin!
- The stone of love, rose quartz is connected to your heart chakra. Embrace these metaphysical healing aspects of rose quartz by rolling upwards from the heart, over the collarbones and neck, and the face to improve circulation from the heart. Rose quartz helps release negative emotions, so it can also help boost the movement of lymph fluid.
- Holding onto negative emotions can cause stagnation and tension in the body, leading to wrinkles. The act of facial rolling in itself can improve circulation, decreasing wrinkles. Rose quartz is ideal because it helps release negative emotions and improve sagging skin.
- Rose quartz is better for depuffing your skin, because it retains its coldness better than jade, which warms up when in contact with the skin.
Cons of Rose Quartz Rollers
- Rose quartz rollers can be slightly higher in price, due to it being a harder stone. However, even this is barely a con–your harder, higher-quality rose quartz roller will last longer than a jade roller.
- Jade is traditionally known as the stone of eternal youth and beauty. Rose quartz has its own benefits, but it can’t offer the traditional benefits of jade.
Which type of facial roller should I choose?
Jade rollers are traditionally used in facial rolling and are the stone of eternal youth and beauty. Jade is a softer stone and can de-puff your skin, improve elasticity, and stimulate lymph flow.
Rose quartz can do all of these as well, and may even be better. As a harder stone, rose quartz lasts longer and retains its coolness. It’s also the stone of love and can help release negative emotions that cause wrinkles and dull skin.
No matter which facial roller you choose (jade or rose quartz), you’re likely to see myriad benefits in the health of your skin!
Common questions about jade and rose quartz rollers:
How do I do it?
When using your face roller, it’s important to move in the correct directions so as to stimulate the flow of your lymphatic fluid in the direction it naturally flows. Generally, you’ll want to roll out and up. Use the longer roller for surface areas and the shorter roller for around the eyes and lips.
You don’t need to apply much pressure at all. Light pressure is the key to stimulating this lymphatic flow.
Use after applying your serum and moisturizer. I like to add a few drops of this facial oil to my moisturizer in the mornings prior to using my rose quartz facial roller.
Are jade and rose quartz rollers really effective?
Face rollers are definitely effective as part of a dedicated skincare routine. You’ll see the most difference with consistent use and alongside beneficial skincare (I use this skincare line–it WORKS and is safe to use).
Using a high-quality roller is important, too. A lot of the benefits come from the physical and metaphysical properties of the stones.
Can I use it every day?
Definitely! In fact, it’s best to use your face roller at least once a day, ideally twice. Simply incorporate it into your skincare routine–it’s a pretty short process. If you can only dedicate the time to use your face roller once a day, roll in the morning to reduce puffiness and increase circulation.
Do they reduce undereye circles?
Face rollers can help reduce both undereye circles and undereye puffiness. Face rollers increase circulation, bringing blood flow to discolored undereyes (though this might not help if your undereye circles are genetic.) They also stimulate lymph flow and tighten skin, which will help with undereye puffiness.
Can they reduce the appearance of wrinkles?
Yes, your face roller can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They increase the penetration and efficacy of skincare products, tone the facial muscles, and increase lymph flow. Rose quartz, in particular, can help reduce wrinkles by releasing negative emotions that contribute to tension.
Does facial rolling cause breakouts?
Facial rolling itself will not cause breakouts; unhygienic facial rolling can contribute to breakouts, however. To avoid this, don’t roll over active or irritated acne and be sure to clean your roller after every use.
Can they help fight acne?
Facial rolling can definitely help! Increasing lymphatic flow, increasing penetration of your skincare products to deliver the acne-fighting active ingredients more deeply into the skin, and tightening the pores (which can happen from using a cold stone to massage your face) can all help to fight acne.
The metaphysical aspects of both jade and rose quartz can help release negative emotions and promote beauty, while the routine itself can decrease acne-causing stress. Be very vigilant about rolling lightly if you have active acne and avoid rolling over severe irritations or open wounds. Clean your facial roller after every use to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Should I freeze my jade or rose quartz roller?
Freezing your jade or rose quartz roller isn’t necessary, but you can freeze them for a few minutes if you want maximum coldness. Alternatively, you can keep your face roller in the refrigerator.
However, your face roller should be cold enough at room temperature to make refrigerating it unnecessary (this is a great way to tell if it’s an authentic stone!)
How do I clean my facial roller?
If you don’t have acneic skin, simply wiping your facial roller down after every use should be enough to keep it clean. It’s still best to clean it once a week or so with soap and water. If you have acne-prone skin or active breakouts, you’ll need to clean your facial roller after every use.
To clean, simply place a few drops of soap (Dr. Bronner’s works well, because it’s a concentrate) in your palm, wet your roller, and roll over the soap for a minute or so. Rinse clean. Alternately, you can fill a bowl with soapy water, submerge your roller, and then rinse clean.
Where should I buy my Jade or Rose Quartz Facial Roller?
My top choice for purchasing a jade or rose quartz roller is Primally Pure. I realize the cost can be more than what you’d find on Amazon , but I’ve found the quality to be much higher from this brand.
Avoid the cheapest options on Amazon; not only will they not last as long, but most of them are plastic dyed either green or pink. This happened to me with the first jade roller I purchased from Amazon!
If they are genuine stone, they likely aren’t ethically sourced.
Whether you go with a traditional jade roller or a dreamy rose quartz roller, you can’t go wrong! Facial rolling offers amazing benefits, from decreasing puffiness and improving circulation to reducing wrinkles and gently detoxifying your skin.