This Paleo Apple Crisp recipe is a simple crowd pleaser! Made with just 7 ingredients, this Fall dessert is gluten free, Paleo, and AIP.
- 4 cups sliced and peeled green apples
- 1/4 cup juice (I have used orange juice and unsweetened cranberry juice – both are great!)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (can substitute for 3/4 cup monkfruit sweetener for sugar free)
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 cup palm shortening or grass-fed butter (very cold)
- Measure out 1/2 cup palm shortening or butter, and place in the refrigerator or freezer to get very cold. You’ll want to leave it in the fridge for at least an hour, or the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Fill a 9″ pie plate or an 8″x 8″ casserole dish with peeled and sliced apples. Pour juice over top the apples evenly.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined.
- Remove palm shortening or butter from fridge or freezer, and chop into small cubes. Add to the flour mixture, and use your hands to slightly warm the shortening/butter and mix until crumbly. Do not overmix! There should still be big chunks of shortening and lots of dry flour/sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with dairy free ice cream, caramel sauce (I like this one!), or whipped coconut cream.
You can use this inexpensive apple corer and slicer to make the prep work quicker.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo apple crisp