This Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken is the perfect recipe to make for an easy weeknight meal. As a bonus, it’s also a gluten free and Paleo version of one of my favorite takeout meals. If you feel the same way, look no further than this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. You can serve it with rice to refuel after a hard workout, or modify it slightly to make it keto.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1.5 inch-2 inch pieces (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed and then chopped into 1inch-2 inch pieces (omit for AIP)
- 1 can of no sugar added pineapple chunks with the juice drained and reserved (about ¾ cup pineapple and 2/3 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup raw, apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Whole30 compliant ketchup like Primal Kitchen (omit for AIP or use an AIP Ketchup)
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp Whole30 compliant fish sauce (like Red Boat)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional, omit for AIP)
- Cauliflower rice (optional)
- Start with preparing the ingredients for the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients except the arrowroot and water.
- Next, chop all the ingredients for the dish so they’re ready to add to the Instant Pot when it gets hot.
- Press the “sauté” function on your instant pot. When the display on your Instant Pot says “hot” add the coconut oil. Let the coconut oil melt and coat the entire bottom of the pot.
- Add chicken and cook about 1 minute on each side. Use tongs to turn the chicken. Your chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked through, or even fully browned on each side. Doing so will cause your chicken to be overcooked. Instead, you’ll just want to sear it on both sides.
- While chicken sautés, whisk together vinegar, ketchup, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, coconut aminos, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and sea salt.
- After chicken is seared on both sides, and add the sauce, yellow onion, red pepper, and pineapple chunks. Close the lid, place the steam release on “sealing”, and set to manual, high pressure for 5 minutes.
- After your Instant Pot beeps, use the quick release by turning steam release valve to “venting”. Once pressure is released, remove the lid.
- Set the pot to “sauté” mode again. While it’s coming to temp, whisk together the arrowroot starch with remaining pineapple juice in a small bowl. Add mixture to pot and stir to combine into the sauce. Cook about 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Press “cancel” on your Instant Pot, and use a ladle to portion out the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into your serving dish. Top with sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro, and a side of cauliflower rice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken, Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken