This Dairy free Cream of Mushroom Soup is a healthy twist on a classic! This homemade version is super easy to make. When made with coconut milk, the result is a creamy, savory soup suitable for everyone at the table, whether they’re gluten free, Paleo, or following the AIP.
- 1 8-ounce carton white mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, bacon grease, or avocado oil
- 2 cups bone broth (I used chicken broth)
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I used full fat coconut milk from a can)
- 5 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- In a large soup pot, sauté mushrooms and onions in oil of choice over medium heat. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions are translucent, and the mushrooms are brown and have reduced in size, and then add garlic. Cook for a minute or two and remove from heat.
- Add bone broth and dairy free milk. Whisk in the arrowroot starch until well incorporated.
- Bring everything to a boil, whisking constantly until the soup has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Can be served as a soup, or as a component to other recipes that require cream of mushroom soup, like this Green Bean Casserole.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: dairy free cream of mushroom soup