When James and I started following the autoimmune protocol, we didn’t give much consideration to the holidays. Honestly, I didn’t think I would make it past the first week of the diet, but here I am, making AIP sugar cookies and hot cocoa. I’m still following AIP (with some reintroductions), and I likely will comply with the protocol for a majority of my life. But that is a different story for a different day. Today… cookies and cocoa.
Christmas week may be upon us, but this recipe is a can’t miss. If nothing else, try the cocoa!
Fluffy Roll Out Sugar Cookies (AIP Friendly)
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
3/4 cup Arrowroot Starch
1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
1/2 cup Organic Powdered Sugar (make your own powdered sugar by blending 1/2 cup coconut sugar along with 1/4 cup arrowroot starch in a food processor for strict AIP)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Guar Gum (omit for strict AIP)
3/4 cup Palm Shortening
2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the fridge to chill.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, slowly add in the wet ingredients.
- Mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Using two sheets of parchment paper, roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick. Cut out the dough with various cookie cutters.
- Place each cookie cut out on the chilled, parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to brown.
- Carefully the parchment off the cookie sheet, and allow to cool before touching, otherwise the cookies will crumble. Chill cookie sheet between baking cookie batches.
Hot ‘Cocoa’ (AIP Friendly)
6 oz water
6 oz full fat coconut milk **
1 Tablespoon maple syrup **
2 teaspoons carob powder
1 teaspoon mct or coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring water and coconut milk to a low boil and remove from heat.
- Measure syrup, carob, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla into a blender while waiting for liquid to boil.
- Pour liquid into blender and blend until well combined.
**substitute coconut milk for water and maple syrup for xylitol for a lighter version
Want some help in rocking your AIP transition? You can have my free ebook containing protocol specifics, an enjoy + avoid list, a dining out guide, and even some (not so average) meal planning tips. Download your free copy below!