We shared the recipe for this Adrenal Support Mocktail on the Cotter Crunch website several months ago, but with the launch of our self paced nutrition program we’re just now getting around to sharing it. Perfect timing, too. The prep for this nutrition program has us working around the clock – I can’t think of a more appropriate time to be supporting our adrenals.
So… adrenal fatigue. It can really leave you in a lurch. But what is it? How does it make us feel so wiped out, and what can you do about it?
First, a quick primer on the basics:
Our adrenals, tiny hormone producing glands that sit atop our kidneys, are responsible for assisting our bodies in dealing with everyday stressors. However, in this miracle of a modern world we all live in, the “everyday stressors” might more aptly be called “every minute stressors.” Many of us are subject to uncanny amounts of stress from the moment we open our eyes in the morning. The alarm clock goes off, and we’re immediately rushed into getting ready for work; skipping breakfast, grabbing a large drip coffee with three sugars from our favorite java haunt, and on to dealing with crazy traffic on the way to work. With a typical morning like this, we’ve dealt with more adrenal gland taxing stress before 11am then our primal ancestors dealt with in an average week. Geeze, no wonder need extra adrenal support ALL day!
Our adrenal glands, in response to stress, create hormones like epinephrine (aka cortisol) and norepinephrine, which modify the way the body functions so that it can better react to what our bodies and minds perceive as a threatening situation. These hormones have many responsibilities in the body, and we shouldn’t demonize them as they are necessary for our survival. However, when they are over produced over a long period of time they can have extremely negative effects on our bodies.
Weight gain, muscle loss, dysglycemia, anxiety, fatigue, caffeine intolerance, sleep issues, and many more maladies can result from our adrenals over producing cortisol. If they are taxed for too long, nutrient and antioxidant stores run low, and we can run into a situation where we simply do not have the ability to create any more of these vital hormones leaving us in a state of adrenal fatigue.
What to do:
Whether you’ve been tested and have confirmed you have it, or just simply suspect it may be an issue for you, there are many things that you can do to support adrenal health right now. We created this signature mocktail when planing for our adrenal healing workshop, Adrenals Half Full. We’ll have more details on this weekend workshop on our website in the next couple of months, but for now, we’ll focus on this mocktail that’s packed full of adrenal supporting adaptogens, antioxidants, and vitamins. And it’s “to die for” delicious to boot. You can also grab our free guide. 5 Steps to Adrenal Health, by signing up below.
Our mocktail is made with holy basil (tulsi leaf) tea, sparkling mineral water, Himalayan sea salt, fresh organic oranges, fresh basil, and a touch of grade B maple syrup for those who like it a tad on the sweet side.
HOW THE ADRENALS HALF FULL SIGNATURE MOCKTAIL FOR ADRENAL SUPPORT WORKS:
- Holy basil is an adaptogenic herb that supports the adrenal glands. Adaptogens help the adrenals, you guessed it, “adapt” the way they react to stressors by supporting a more balanced hormonal response.
- Sparkling mineral water helps hydrate the body, and also contains essential minerals.
- Himalayan sea salt contains trace minerals, which are important when it comes to supporting the adrenals. Those suffering with adrenal fatigue often find their body has a hard time regulating sodium due to the reduction of the hormone aldosterone.
- Oranges are a great source of Vitamin C & bioflavonoids. These all-star micronutrients assist the body in hormone production, and protecting it against free radical damage by virtue of their antioxidant ability.
- Grade B maple syrup is an alkaline forming sweetener that is not only delicious, but also contains essential minerals and B-vitamins that are necessary for energy production and adrenal hormone production.
Did we convince you of the many merits of the Adrenal Support Mocktail? Trust me, this is one daily drink that both you and your body will love. Now, sign up below to get the recipe + our free 5 step guide to adrenal health.