I follow this 10 minute detox routine a few times a week before a bath. The activated charcoal face mask and dry skin brushing are the perfect complement to each other! Read on to learn how I use these two detoxing techniques in conjunction with each other to create a powerful 10 minute detox routine!
The problem with mainstream detoxes
The biggest misconception about detoxing is that you can focus solely on diet (or lack thereof) to “clean out” your body.
We're inundated with ads and social media posts promoting diets, juice cleanses, and oral supplement routines all claiming to help you to detoxify. Please forgive my language, but those claims are a crock of shit.
What you choose to put into your body (or not put into it) is only part of the equation. Think about it – let's say your goal was to clean out a landfill and plant an organic garden in it's place. How far would you get if you chose to continue filling it with junk, but making sure the junk was clean? It's a laughable concept, really.
If you really want to grow some healthy produce on that soil, you need to 1. stop putting crap into the landfill, and 2. also begin cleaning it out.
The process of a Whole Life Detox (my free email series) walks you through these two steps:
- how to stop filling your body with toxins, and
- how to remove the toxins that are already residing in your body.
Here's how the 10 Minute Detox covers both steps…
The activated charcoal mask I use is free of toxic chemicals, and ranks a ‘2' on EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. While I obviously recommend this particular mask since it's tested and trusted by moi, you can search the EWG database to see what concerning chemicals and toxins are hiding out in an activated charcoal mask you intend on using.
By choosing to use an activated charcoal mask that is effective and free from harmful chemicals and toxins, you're choosing to follow step 1 in the Whole Life Detox process.
Step 2 is covered by using an activated charcoal mask in conjunction with a detoxification technique called dry skin brushing. These two tools work together synergistically to eliminate the toxins stored in your body. Here's how:
Activated Charcoal Face Mask
Activated charcoal works as a chelating agent to bind to toxins & remove them from the body. Without a this, toxins in your bod will recirculate and settle back into your cells. A chelating agent is CLUTCH.
Activated charcoal masks remove impurities from your pores and help to make them smaller. I’ve noticed a big difference in the pores on my nose and chin since I started using this mask.
Dry Skin Brushing
A supplementary tool to try in this 10 Minute Detox routine would be a jade roller. I just ordered this one for myself and am so excited to add it to my routine! This roller should act similarly to the dry skin brush in helping stimulate the lymph in the face. Following that process up with a charcoal mask will bind to and eliminate the toxins that were mobilized. I’ll be updating this post with details on the jade roller once I've had a chance to test it out.
Here's how to do the 10 Minute Detox…
I use this detox as a pre-bath routine. Side note: a bath can be another form of detoxification! I use these simple DIY detox bath blend recipes to make sure I'm supporting my body's detox pathways while soaking. This 10 minute detox routine definitely stretches the benefits of the bath!Print
Follow this 10 minute detox routine 1-2 times a week before a bath. The activated charcoal face mask and dry skin brushing are the perfect complement to each other!
- Start filling your bath. Again, I use one of these two detox bath blends to maximize this detoxification technique.
- Apply this activated charcoal mask to your face. You can use less of the product when you apply using a mask face brush like this one – I'm able to get around 30 applications from one tube of the activated charcoal mask this way.
- While the bath is filling and the activated charcoal mask is setting, use the dry skin brush technique* to work your way around your entire body.
- Once it's been about 10-15 minutes after you first applied your activated charcoal mask, rinse the mask off in the bath water & soak.
* To do the dry skin brush technique, start by gently moving a natural boar bristle dry skin brush (like this one) in circular motions across the skin. You'll want to start at the furthest point of your extremities, and work your way in toward your heart. So start at your feet and hands, working your way in.